The Platinum Card® from American Express vs Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
Compare Rewards, Interest Rates, Fees, and Benefits
American Express is a CreditDonkey partner. We receive compensation if you apply and get approved for a card through links in our content. You do not have to use our links, but you help support CreditDonkey if you do. (read more)
American Express Platinum is an excellent charge card for frequent travelers. How does it compare to Blue Cash Preferred from American Express, a cash back, gas and grocery credit card? Read our comparison chart below.
Keep in mind, the American Express Platinum has a $450 annual fee, while the Blue Cash Preferred has a $95 annual fee ($75 if your application is received by 8/3/16).
Charge Card vs Credit Card: The Platinum Card® from American Express is a charge card while Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is a credit card. If you plan to carry a balance, avoid charge cards as they usually require that you pay in full.
| ||Personal Charge Card||Personal Credit Card|
- Get 40,000 points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $200 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- There are no foreign transaction fees with your Platinum Card.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors(TM) Gold Status.
- Get reservations with Platinum Card® Concierge to enjoy an exquisite dining experience with the #AmexPlatinum Dining Program. Learn more.
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- See Rates & Fees
- Earn $150 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. You will receive the $150 back in the form of statement credits.
- Earn Cash Back: 6% at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, 3% at U.S. gas stations & select U.S. dept stores, 1% on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- With the Blue Cash Preferred® Card, you can get cash back. No rotating reward categories. No enrollment required.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit. Cash back is earned only on eligible purchases.
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months, then a variable rate, currently 13.24% to 23.24%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Card Interest Rates & Fees
|Introductory APR for Purchases||N/A||0% introductory APR for 12 months|
|Introductory APR for Balance Transfers||N/A||0% introductory APR for 12 months|
|Purchase APR||N/A||13.24% to 23.24% Variable based on your creditworthiness and other factors|
|Balance Transfers APR||N/A||13.24% to 23.24% Variable based on your creditworthiness and other factors|
|Annual Fee||$450 annual fee||$95 annual fee ($75 if your application is received by 8/3/16)|
Card Rewards & Benefits
|Introductory Bonus Cash Back|| ||Introductory Bonus Cash Back: Earn $150 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. You will receive the $150 back in the form of statement credits.|
|Introductory Bonus Reward Points||Introductory Bonus Reward Points: Get 40,000 points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.|| |
|Cash Back Rewards|| ||Cash Back Rewards: Earn Cash Back: 6% at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, 3% at U.S. gas stations & select U.S. dept stores, 1% on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.|
|Airline Rewards||Airline Rewards|| |
|Hotel Rewards||Hotel Rewards|| |
|Point Rewards||Point Rewards: Earn 1 point for virtually every dollar spent.|| |
|Travel Rewards||Travel Rewards|| |
|Airline Status||Airline Status: Up to a $200 Airline Fee Credit Annually. To receive the statement credit, you need to select a qualifying airline.|
Airport Club Access gives you access to three airport lounge networks including participating Delta Sky Club® lounges and Priority Pass(TM) Select. When you enroll in Priority Pass(TM) Select, you can access over 600 participating airport lounges worldwide - no matter what class or airline you fly.
|Hotel Status||Hotel Status: Enroll in complimentary SPG Gold Status (Starwood Preferred Guest Gold Preferred Guest).|
Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors(TM) Gold Status.
|Gas Rewards|| ||Gas Rewards: 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations. Terms and limitations apply|
|Grocery Rewards|| ||Grocery Rewards: 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%). Terms and limitations apply|
|Airline Transfer Partners||Airline Transfer Partners: Airline transfer partners include Delta Air Lines, Frontier Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue, Virgin America and more.|| |
|Smart Chip||Smart Chip||Smart Chip|
| ||Go to issuer's official application, terms, and details||Go to issuer's official application, terms, and details|
CreditDonkey® Card Reviews
|Pros & Cons||Pros:|
- Travel benefits
- 40,000 bonus points after you spend $3000 in first 3 months
- Concierge service
- 6% at US supermarkets (up to $6k/year in purchases)
- 3% at US gas stations
- Bonus cash back promotional offer
- Intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months
- $95 annual fee ($75 if your application is received by 8/3/16)
- Not a Visa/MasterCard
|Bottom Line||Excellent charge card for frequent travelers... Read full review||Excellent cash back credit card for groceries and gas... Read full review|
|What Others View|
See issuer's website for details including terms and conditions. While reasonable effort has been made to maintain accurate and updated information, the information shown on this site may vary, be out of date, or not applicable to you. All information is provided without warranty. When you click on the Apply Now button, you can review the terms and conditions on the issuer's website.
Blank fields may indicate the information is not available, not applicable, or not known to CreditDonkey. Please visit the issuer's website for details.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by American Express. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express.
Explore The Platinum Card® from American Express In-Depth
Is the Platinum Card from American Express worth the $450 annual fee? Read this in-depth review to help you decide.
There is no point paying the $450 annual fee for the American Express Platinum Card UNLESS you know the benefits are worth it. Read this in-depth guide to help you decide.
Explore Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express In-Depth
If you are looking to get cashback rewards on common household categories like gas and groceries, consider the Blue Cash Preferred Card. American Express created the Preferred card as an upgrade to the Blue Cash Everyday.
American Express now offer deals for new credit card applicants. But how do you pick which promotion is right for you? Read this in-depth 2016 guide.
Signing up for a card with a sign-up bonus or an introductory offer can be a great way to get a head start on earning rewards or to get a handle on your debt.
So you've decided you want to earn rewards for your spending but aren’t sure how to pick the right card?
Compare American Express Platinum to:
|Intro APR (Purchases)||Intro APR (Balance Transfer)||Regular APR|
16.24% - 23.24% Variable
Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95
You might also be interested in
Compare Blue Cash Preferred to: