The Platinum Card® from American Express vs Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
Compare Rewards, Interest Rates, Fees, and Benefits
American Express is a CreditDonkey partner. We receive compensation if you apply and get approved for a card through links in our content. You do not have to use our links, but you help support CreditDonkey if you do. (read more)
American Express Platinum is an excellent charge card for frequent travelers. How does it compare to Blue Cash Preferred from American Express, a cash back, gas and grocery credit card? Read our comparison chart below.
Keep in mind, the American Express Platinum has a $450 annual fee, while the Blue Cash Preferred has a $95 annual fee.
Charge Card vs Credit Card: The Platinum Card® from American Express is a charge card while Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is a credit card. If you plan to carry a balance, avoid charge cards as they usually require that you pay in full.
| ||Personal Charge Card||Personal Credit Card|
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors(TM) Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees
- Apply by 1/11/2017- Earn 10% cash back on purchases at Amazon.com in the first 6 months, up to $200.
- Plus, earn $150 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new card within the first 3 months.
- You will receive cash back in the form of statement credits.
- Everyday Cash Back: 6% at U.S supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%); 3% at U.S gas stations; 1% other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No rotating reward categories. No enrollment required.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit. You can only earn cash back on eligible purchases.
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months, then a variable rate, currently 13.24% to 23.24%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Card Interest Rates & Fees
|Introductory APR for Purchases||N/A||0% introductory APR for 12 months|
|Introductory APR for Balance Transfers||N/A||0% introductory APR for 12 months|
|Purchase APR||N/A||13.24% to 23.24% Variable based on your creditworthiness and other factors|
|Balance Transfers APR||N/A||13.24% to 23.24% Variable based on your creditworthiness and other factors|
|Annual Fee||$450 annual fee||$95 annual fee|
Card Rewards & Benefits
|Introductory Bonus Cash Back|| ||Introductory Bonus Cash Back: Apply by 1/11/2017- Earn 10% cash back on purchases at Amazon.com in the first 6 months, up to $200.|
Plus, earn $150 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new card within the first 3 months.
You will receive cash back in the form of statement credits.
|Introductory Bonus Reward Points||Introductory Bonus Reward Points: Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.|| |
|Cash Back Rewards|| ||Cash Back Rewards: Everyday Cash Back: 6% at U.S supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%); 3% at U.S gas stations; 1% other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.|
|Travel Rewards||Travel Rewards|| |
|Airline Rewards||Airline Rewards: Earn 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.|| |
|Point Rewards||Point Rewards: Earn 1 point for virtually every dollar spent.|| |
|Airline Status||Airline Status: $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.|
Access to 5 airport lounge networks including The Centurion® lounge network, The International American Express lounges, Delta Sky Club® lounges, Priority Pass(TM) Select, and Airspace Lounge. Enrollment required for Priority Pass Select.
|Hotel Status||Hotel Status: Enroll in complimentary SPG Gold Status (Starwood Preferred Guest Gold Preferred Guest).|
Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors(TM) Gold Status.
Fine Hotels & Resorts - book your stay through American Express FHR at one of 600 luxury hotels and you may get a room upgrade upon arrival, daily continental breakfast for 2, guaranteed 4pm late checkout and a special amenity unique to each property.
|Gas Rewards|| ||Gas Rewards: 3% cash back at U.S gas stations. Terms and limitations apply|
|Grocery Rewards|| ||Grocery Rewards: 6% cash back at U.S supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%). Terms and limitations apply|
|Airline Transfer Partners||Airline Transfer Partners: Airline transfer partners include Delta, Hawaiian Airlines, Aeromexico, Air Canada, Air France, Emirates, Cathay Pacific (Asia Miles), Virgin Atlantic, Singapore Airlines, Etihad, Alitalia, All Nippon Airways and more.|| |
| ||Go to issuer's official application, terms, and details||Go to issuer's official application, terms, and details|
CreditDonkey® Card Reviews
|Pros & Cons||Pros:|
- Travel benefits
- 40,000 bonus points after you spend $3000 in first 3 months
- Concierge service
- 6% at US supermarkets (up to $6k/year in purchases)
- 3% at US gas stations
- Bonus cash back promotional offer
- Intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months
- $95 annual fee
- Not a Visa/MasterCard
|Bottom Line||Excellent charge card for frequent travelers... Read full review||Excellent cash back credit card for groceries and gas... Read full review|
|What Others View|
See issuer's website for details including terms and conditions. While reasonable effort has been made to maintain accurate and updated information, the information shown on this site may vary, be out of date, or not applicable to you. All information is provided without warranty. When you click on the Apply Now button, you can review the terms and conditions on the issuer's website.
Blank fields may indicate the information is not available, not applicable, or not known to CreditDonkey. Please visit the issuer's website for details.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by American Express. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express.
Explore The Platinum Card® from American Express In-Depth
Is the Platinum Card® from American Express worth the $450 annual fee? Read this in-depth review to help you decide.
There is no point paying the $450 annual fee for the American Express Platinum Card UNLESS you know the benefits are worth it. Read this in-depth guide to help you decide.
Explore Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express In-Depth
If you are looking to get cashback rewards on common household categories like gas and groceries, consider the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express. Amex created the Preferred card as an upgrade to the Blue Cash Everyday.
American Express now offer promotions for new credit card applicants. But how do you pick which deal is right for you? Read this in-depth 2016 guide.
Signing up for a card with a sign-up bonus or an introductory offer can be a great way to get a head start on earning rewards or to get a handle on your debt.
So you've decided you want to earn rewards for your spending but aren’t sure how to pick the right card?
Compare American Express Platinum to:
|Intro APR (Purchases)||Intro APR (Balance Transfer)||Regular APR|
16.24% - 23.24% Variable
Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95
You might also be interested in
Compare Blue Cash Preferred to: