Delta Credit Card Review: Is Gold Delta SkyMiles Worth $95?
Delta has several credit cards to choose from, so how do you decide which one is right for you? Read this Gold Delta SkyMiles review before you apply.
Pros and Cons
- Bonus Delta miles offer
- One free checked bag
- Priority boarding
- $95 annual fee
Good airline credit card for someone who travels heavily with Delta airlines
Why We Like Gold Delta SkyMiles
- The bonus offer is beneficial and attainable: New cardholders earn 30,000 bonus miles after they make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of owning the card.
That threshold is relatively straightforward to meet. And it’ll give you a head start to racking up miles — remember, domestic roundtrip award tickets start at 25,000 miles (plus taxes and fees). Even easier: as long as you use the card at least once in that first 3 months, you’ll get a $50 statement credit.
- The rewards structure is simple: You get 2 miles on purchases you make with Delta and 1 mile for every eligible dollar you spend elsewhere. If you travel for business or pleasure a lot and it’s often with Delta and you plan to use this card regularly, you’ll see those miles multiply quick.
- It makes traveling easier: The point of getting an airline card is to make traveling easier, and with this card, you get your first checked bag free on Delta flights and Priority Boarding. These are perks that take away some of the hassle of travel.
Opening: Why You Should Get a Delta Credit Card
Gold Delta SkyMiles Perks:
Here are reasons to opt for a Delta airline credit card over others:
- You fly Delta a lot: Whether it’s for work or pleasure or because you’re always going to the same place where Delta is the airline to fly, if this is your go-to airline, then this is a card you should consider.
- You’re about to go on a trip and expect to travel more frequently: The special 30,000 bonus miles intro offer is a great way to kick off ownership of this card, but you can get those miles only if you spend $1,000 within the first three months of ownership. If you have a large purchase to make soon, that 30,000 bonus miles offer is hard to ignore.
Plus, you know the challenges of getting from one place to the other. The Gold Delta credit card helps you get your first bag checked in for free on every Delta flight and you also get priority boarding.
To learn more about the Delta SkyMiles credit card, including the online application, here is a link to American Express' secure website.
When you make a purchase with the Gold Delta SkyMiles card, you earn miles on your account. Delta purchases earn 2 miles per dollar spent (other purchases earns 1 mile per dollar). You can redeem a round trip domestic flight for as little as 25,000 miles. Visit Delta's Mileage Chart and start dreaming of your next vacation.
Your miles can also be redeemed for discounts on Delta airfare through Pay with Miles. The miles required depends on the price of the ticket. On airfares greater than $100, generally speaking, 10,000 miles gets you a $100 discount.
Airline Partners: Want to go somewhere Delta doesn't take you? You can use your miles to book a flight on a SkyTeam airline partner and other SkyMiles partners. This include airlines such as:
- Compass Airlines
- Endeavor Air
- ExpressJet Airlines
- Gojet Airlines
- Shuttle America
- Aerolineas Argentinas
- Air France
- Air Tahiti Nui
- Alaska Airlines
- China Airlines
- China Eastern
- China Southern
- Czech Airlines
- Garuda Indonesia
- Great Lakes
- Hawaiian Airlines (limited to inter-Hawaiian Islands itineraries)
- Kenya Airways
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
- Korean Air
- Middle East Airlines
- Saudia Airlines
- Tarom Airlines
- Vietnam Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- Virgin Australia
- Xiamen Airlines
|© Jimmy Baikovicius (CC BY-SA 2.0) via Flickr|
The Gold Delta SkyMiles card lets you enjoy a number of perks while traveling with Delta airlines. For starters, you’ll get to check your first bag for free on Delta flights. This bonus applies for up to 9 travelers on your reservation, the savings will be significant if you travel with a large group.
When you book a Delta flight with this card, you also automatically receive Priority Boarding for your flight, even if you don’t have status with Delta.
Cardholders have access to insurance against car rental loss or damage and travel accidents. Frequent travelers will find these perks especially valuable.
In addition to the two types of travel insurance mentioned above, Gold Delta SkyMiles cardholders enjoy extended warranties on eligible purchases and 24 hour roadside assistance.
WHY YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK ELSEWHERE
There are 2 big reasons to consider another card before you apply for the Gold Delta SkyMiles card:
- It restricts you to Delta: If Delta is not your favorite airline or the flights you take rarely involve the airline, then you may want a more general travel credit card. You get the most miles from this card when you use it toward Delta purchases.
- The annual fee: The $95 annual fee is competitive for an airline travel card, and it’s waived for the first year, but it is an expense you should consider before signing up.
|© Sarah_Ackerman (CC BY 2.0) via Flickr|
In our opinion, this is a good airline credit card for someone who likes to fly with Delta Air Lines. Remember, as with all credit card offers, terms and limitations apply.
Follow @CreditDonkey or write to David R at email@example.com
David R is a contributing writer at CreditDonkey, a credit card comparison and financial education website. Our data-driven analysis has been recognized by major news outlets across the country and has helped consumers make savvy financial and lifestyle decisions.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by American Express. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express. This site may be compensated through the Advertiser's affiliate programs.
Disclaimer: This content was first published on May 2, 2012. This content may have been updated on November 12, 2015. Information including APR, terms and benefits may vary, be out of date, or not applicable to you. Information is provided without warranty. Please check American Express website for updated information.