We've compiled a list of the 5 Gas Card Deals currently available on CreditDonkey.
Gas Credit Cards
Save money at the pump with gas rewards credit cards from our partners
Fuel your car and your rewards. With a gas credit card, you can earn cash back or rewards points when you go to the pump.
Gas Credit Card Offers
We agree, there are way too many gas credit cards to choose from.
But how do you find the right one for you?
Now, as you compare credit cards to find out which one is right for you, consider the following factors:
- Rewards credit card vs. gas station card: Most people hop around to gas stations, depending on where their drive takes them, so a gas-station branded credit card that limits your rewards to just one gas brand may not be as beneficial.
- Interest rates: If you plan to carry a balance, look for a credit card with a low APR instead.
- Annual fee: Some cards charge an annual fee every year just to have them. In exchange, you usually get better rewards or benefits. If you use the card frequently throughout the year, it might be worthwhile to pay an annual fee.
Earn Cash Back on Gas
The featured gas credit card offer on CreditDonkey is the Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express, a CreditDonkey advertiser. Unlike cards associated with specific gas stations like Shell, BP, Sunoco, or Exxon Mobil, the Blue Cash Preferred lets you earn 3% cash back on purchases at US gas stations and select US department stores. You earn 6% cash back at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%). You earn 1% cash back on other purchases.
With its consistent reward categories year-round, the Blue Cash Preferred Card is the CreditDonkey® featured credit card for gas.
Not convinced? For those of you feeling swayed by gas stations offering you 5 cents back on every gallon, we have a tiny bit of math for you. That type of deal was nice years ago, when gas was less than $2 a gallon. But when fueling your car costs an average of $3.00 a gallon, you’ve got to expect more from your purchases at the pump. With many gas-company cards, you’d get just 50 cents for 10 gallons of gas. That’s just about 1.67% back. But with the Blue Cash Preferred, for that same 10 gallons, you’d get 3% back, or 90 cents. That adds up if you’re a commuting warrior or a frequent road tripper. And you do not have to stress about how to find a particular brand gas station.
Gas rewards add up quickly. Think about this: The average U.S. household spends about $3,000 on gas each year, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. With the median household income just north of $50,000, that represents about 6% of an average family’s annual budget. If you spent $3,000 a year at the gas pump, the 3% cash back at US gas stations would put $90 back in your pocket during the course of the year.
Why It’s the Featured Credit Card for Fuel Purchases on CreditDonkey
- Rewards: The Blue Cash Preferred Card offers a combination of the same reward categories year-round and convenient reward redemption (in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit). Earn 6% cash back at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, 3% at US gas stations & select US department stores, and 1% on other purchases. (Terms and limitations apply).
- Promotion: Get $150 back after you make $1,000 in purchases with your new Card in the first 3 months. (You will receive $150 back in the form of a statement credit).
- 0% Intro APR: 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months, then a variable rate, currently 13.24% to 23.24%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors.
Why You Might Want to Look Elsewhere
- $95 Annual Fee: If you don't make regular purchases at gas stations or supermarkets, then this card may not be worth the $95 annual fee. Consider the Blue Cash Everyday which has no annual fee, but only earns 2% cash back at US gas station.
- Requires Excellent Credit: You usually need excellent credit to qualify for the Blue Cash Preferred.
Gas Credit Cards to Build Credit: If you do not have excellent credit, consider the Barclaycard Rewards which only requires fair credit. The Barclaycard Rewards is a no annual fee rewards credit card that offers 2x points on gas, grocery stores (excludes Target® and Walmart®) and utilities. The Barclaycard Rewards reports to all 3 major credit bureaus monthly providing you the opportunity to rebuild your credit.
For Business Owners: If most of your gas purchases are tied to a business you own, consider a business gas credit card. Instead of reimbursing your employees, you can give your employees cards to earn rewards from their purchases.
Bottom Line: Apply for Gas Credit Card
If you spend a good deal of money on gas and groceries, the Blue Cash Preferred is a great choice in our opinion. You'll earn 6% cash back at US supermarkets (up to $6k/year in purchases), 3% cash back at US gas stations and select US department stores, and 1% on other purchases. There is a $95 annual fee.
Terms and limitations apply. View the secure online application at American Express' website for details.
For more money-saving tips, make sure to read:
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This site may be compensated through the Advertiser's affiliate programs.
- 2X points on gas, utility and grocery store (excluding Target® and Walmart®) purchases. 1x points on all other purchases
- No annual fee
- Points don't expire as long as account is open, active and in good standing
- Redeem points for deposits to a U.S. checking or savings account, statement credits or gift cards, starting at 1,000 points for $10
- No limit on the number of points you can earn or redeem
- Free online access to FICO® Credit Score lets you keep an eye on your credit and get alerts when we learn that your score has changed
- Use your card with confidence, $0 Fraud Liability protection means you're not responsible for unauthorized charges you report to us
- Chip card technology, so paying for your purchases is more secure at chip-card terminals in the U.S. and abroad
Gas Rewards Benefit: 2X points on gas purchases
|Our Review: For people with fair credit looking to earn rewards with no annual fee, the Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard is a solid pick. It offers 2x points on three common expense categories — gas, grocery stores (excluding Target® and Walmart®), and utilities... Read full review|
|Intro APR for Purchases||Intro APR for Balance Transfer||Regular APR||Annual Fee|
|Our Review: If you are a college student on the go who doesn’t have time to juggle rewards categories that change all the time, then you may want to consider the Discover it Chrome for Students card... Read full review|
|Intro APR for Purchases||Intro APR for Balance Transfer||Regular APR||Annual Fee|
0% for 6 months
10.99% for 6 months
13.24% - 22.24% Variable*
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply. See Rates & Fees
Gas Rewards Benefit: Earn 2X points at US gas stations
|Our Review: If you spend a lot on airfare, the Premier Rewards Gold Card may be worth considering. Read on for 10 reasons to consider this American Express card and 4 reasons to skip it... Read full review|
|Card Type||Annual Fee|
|Personal Charge Card|
Introductory annual fee of $0 for the first year, then $195
Disclaimer: The information for the Discover it® Chrome, Discover it® Chrome for Students, and Citi® Hilton HHonors Visa Signature® Card have been collected independently by CreditDonkey. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Gas Rewards Benefits
Why Choose a Credit Card with Gas Rewards
- You can earn signup and bonus deals. See the full list of the current gas credit card deals.
- Get rewarded for purchases you’ll be making anyway: Buying gas is the ultimate necessity if you have a car, so why not earn rewards for it? While other types of rewards – like those earned when shopping online or at department stores – can encourage overspending, you can’t buy more gas than you need.
- Stem the cost of high prices: Buying gas is unlike buying almost anything else. It’s usually unnecessary to “shop around” since prices rarely vary within small geographic areas and it doesn’t ever go on sale like most other items.
What to Watch Out for When Choosing and Using Your Gas Credit Card
- Avoid gas cards issued by gas stations: Some gas stations offer credit cards that earn discounts only at their stations. These rewards may be comparable to other credit cards but they are also inconvenient. Instead, choose a card that offers rewards on gas purchases regardless of the brand or station.
- Check the fine print: Some gas station branded cards exclude purchases of diesel gas from their rewards programs. They may also limit the amount of gas (by quantity or by cost) that is eligible for rewards for one transaction.
- If you happen to be a warehouse club member, you probably shouldn’t bother with a gas credit card, as most gas credit cards are only eligible for rewards at stand-alone gas stations. It’s likely that the savings you’ll get by purchasing warehouse gas stations is greater than the rewards you’d earn if you paid full price at a stand-alone gas station.
Articles on Gas Rewards
You might also be interested in