Updated November 23, 2013

No Foreign Transaction Fee Deals

Credit cards can be quite convenient to use when traveling. This is especially true if you tend to travel outside of the country, because they eliminate your need to pay for currency conversion for large quantities of money. They also provide financial security, giving you protection if your wallet is stolen. (You are able to dispute fraudulent charges to credit cards, but once paper money is stolen, there's no getting it back!)

However, international travelers need to pay special attention to the credit cards they use when outside of the United States. Many credit cards have foreign transaction fees that can really add up.

Keep reading to learn how foreign transaction fees may affect you during your travels, how much these fees can cost and some top pick credit cards that provide you a foreign transaction fee-free alternative.

How you’re affected by foreign transaction fees

Many credit cards charge a fee for every purchase that is made from outside of the United States. These fees are added to your credit card bill and can add up. Typically, a 3% fee is charged by the credit card issuer.

The real cost of foreign transaction fees

Travel Rewards Deals
Travel Rewards Deals © CreditDonkey

Many consumers dismiss foreign transaction fees as not costing very much. However, the fees can really add up, especially when you are on an extended vacation or business trip overseas for several months each year.

As mentioned above, the processor typical fee consists of 1% of the purchase and about the bank fee is 1% to 2% of the purchase price; this is a total of 3% of the purchase. This doesn’t seem like much when thinking about a $15 meal (in that instance, the fee is only $0.45). However, consider that USA Today reports that the average one-week, one-city European trip costs $2,000 per person, not including airfare. Apply the 3% to that total and you are paying $60 in foreign transaction fees alone. For each city you visit in that week, you can add an additional $100 to your expected expenses, which is another $3 in fees.

That scenario is just for a one-week stay, so image how much you would be paying if you go on a month-long vacation. That’s an extra couple hundred bucks that you could use for nice dinners, souvenirs or tours.

Top picks that save you from these fees

If you have a multi-week vacation coming up and would like to save yourself from the extra fees, check out these credit cards that have excellent travel perks, including the absence of foreign transaction fees.

More Articles in Hot Deals

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Foreign Transaction Fee

Before you go on a trip overseas, be sure you have a credit card with no foreign transaction fees. Read on to learn how to save money on international travel.

Leave a comment about No Foreign Transaction Fee Deals?

Email (won't be published)

Chase Sapphire Preferred Review

Travel credit cards are a great way to earn flights and hotel stays. Our favorite is the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card because of its bonus point offers and premium travel benefits. Read on to see if the Sapphire Preferred's annual fee is worth ...
More Articles in Hot Deals

About CreditDonkey®
CreditDonkey is a credit card comparison website. We publish data-driven analysis to help you save money & make savvy financial decisions.

Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed on this page are those of the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.

†Advertiser Disclosure: Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which CreditDonkey receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). CreditDonkey does not include all companies or all offers that may be available in the marketplace.

*See the card issuer's online application for details about terms and conditions. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information. However, all information is presented without warranty. When you click on the "Apply Now" button you can review the terms and conditions on the card issuer's website.

CreditDonkey does not know your individual circumstances and provides information for general educational purposes only. CreditDonkey is not a substitute for, and should not be used as, professional legal, credit or financial advice. You should consult your own professional advisors for such advice.