Survey: Father's Day Statistics 2013
Consider making something nice for dad
Nearly one-quarter of dads are feeling sentimental in anticipation of this Father’s Day. In a new CreditDonkey survey, 24.7% of fathers said they are hoping for something homemade this year. However, only 15% of all the respondents said they plan to give their dads something they have made for them. Female respondents are almost three times more likely to give something homemade (23.2% vs. 8.4%) than the sons and grandsons who responded to the survey.
While many dads are hoping for electronics or gift cards this year, others do want a more personal touch. Just over 25% of our respondents said they would like their children to take them out to dinner.
- 68.3% plan to celebrate Father’s Day.
- 17.9% plan to spend less this year on Father’s Day, while most (67.5%) plan to spend the same.
- Most plan to give a greeting card (26.3%), gift cards (26%), and dinner (25.8%).
- What dads want: We asked over 100 dads what they wanted to receive. Most want to receive gift cards (31.2%), dinner (24.7%), and electronics (29%).
- Only 14% of the fathers surveyed want to receive a greeting card, yet 26.3% of all the respondents plan to give one. Female respondents are over 40% more likely to give a greeting card than male respondents (31.5% vs. 21.6%)
- 29% want to receive electronics, yet only 13.3% plan to give electronics. Male respondents were 45% more likely to want to give electronics than female respondents (15.6% vs. 10.7%).
- 50.3% plan to shop online for most of their Father’s Day shopping. Only 9.1% will do most of their shopping at mom and pop stores.
|Do you plan to spend more or less this year on Father's Day? © CreditDonkey|
|What do you want to give for Father's Day? © CreditDonkey|
|What do you want to receive for Father's Day? © CreditDonkey|
|How do you plan to do most of your Father's Day shopping? © CreditDonkey|
Father's Day Tips
- Sons and Daughters: Consider making something homemade for dad. Nearly 1 in 4 fathers surveyed want to receive something homemade, yet only 15% of sons and daughters surveyed plan to give something homemade.
- Fathers: Share this story. Post or tweet this story, maybe it will give your kids a hint!
(CreditDonkey.com surveyed 1,045 Americans, age 18 and over between May 24 and May 30, 2013. 68.3% plan to celebrate Father's Day. Most of the results and analysis are based on the 719 Americans who plan to celebrate the June 16 holiday.)
Follow @CreditDonkey or write to Charles Tran at firstname.lastname@example.org
Charles Tran is the founder of CreditDonkey, a credit card comparison and financial education website. Our data-driven analysis has been recognized by major news outlets across the country and has helped families make savvy financial and lifestyle decisions.