Survey: Father's Day Statistics 2013
Consider making something nice for dad
Nearly one-quarter of dads are feeling sentimental in anticipation of this Father’s Day. In a new CreditDonkey survey, 24.7% of fathers said they are hoping for something homemade this year. However, only 15% of all the respondents said they plan to give their dads something they have made for them. Female respondents are almost three times more likely to give something homemade (23.2% vs. 8.4%) than the sons and grandsons who responded to the survey.
While many dads are hoping for electronics or gift cards this year, others do want a more personal touch. Just over 25% of our respondents said they would like their children to take them out to dinner.
- 68.3% plan to celebrate Father’s Day.
- 17.9% plan to spend less this year on Father’s Day, while most (67.5%) plan to spend the same.
- Most plan to give a greeting card (26.3%), gift cards (26%), and dinner (25.8%).
- What dads want: We asked over 100 dads what they wanted to receive. Most want to receive gift cards (31.2%), dinner (24.7%), and electronics (29%).
- Only 14% of the fathers surveyed want to receive a greeting card, yet 26.3% of all the respondents plan to give one. Female respondents are over 40% more likely to give a greeting card than male respondents (31.5% vs. 21.6%)
- 29% want to receive electronics, yet only 13.3% plan to give electronics. Male respondents were 45% more likely to want to give electronics than female respondents (15.6% vs. 10.7%).
- 50.3% plan to shop online for most of their Father’s Day shopping. Only 9.1% will do most of their shopping at mom and pop stores.
|Do you plan to spend more or less this year on Father's Day? © CreditDonkey|
|What do you want to give for Father's Day? © CreditDonkey|
|What do you want to receive for Father's Day? © CreditDonkey|
|How do you plan to do most of your Father's Day shopping? © CreditDonkey|
Father's Day Tips
- Sons and Daughters: Consider making something homemade for dad. Nearly 1 in 4 fathers surveyed want to receive something homemade, yet only 15% of sons and daughters surveyed plan to give something homemade.
- Fathers: Share this story. Post or tweet this story, maybe it will give your kids a hint!
(CreditDonkey.com surveyed 1,045 Americans, age 18 and over between May 24 and May 30, 2013. 68.3% plan to celebrate Father's Day. Most of the results and analysis are based on the 719 Americans who plan to celebrate the June 16 holiday.)
Charles Tran is the founder of CreditDonkey, a credit card comparison and financial education website. Write to Charles Tran at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our data-driven analysis has been recognized by major news outlets across the country and has helped families make savvy financial and lifestyle decisions.